AAA Offers College Student Insurance Advice – Oswego County Today

Logo provided by AAA.

CNY – The transition from high school graduate to new student is an exciting step and moving away from home is part of the process for many. With so much to think about, many college students don’t even consider reviewing their insurance policies.

Before summer ends, AAA Western and Central New York recommends taking the time to manage this important step into adulthood.

“Students living away from home should be aware that they may have limited coverage under their parents’ insurance policies,” said AAA WCNY Vice President of Insurance Stacey McConnell. “Before leaving for college, students should check what risks and liabilities are covered.”

Home and renters insurance tips for students:

  • If you live in a dormitory, some personal property may be covered by your parents’ homeowners’ or renters’ insurance policies. Expensive items such as computers and other electronics may be subject to coverage limits under a standard home insurance policy, and some states require special approval for students.
  • If you live off campus, get tenant insurance. Renters insurance is necessary to protect you and your property, and can protect you from liability in the event of accidental injury to someone on the property.
  • Leave your valuables at home. Although some valuables, such as laptops, may be needed on campus, items such as expensive jewelry are best left at home.
  • Create a “dorm inventory”. Create a detailed inventory of all the items you will take with you, including photos and receipts. If you need to file a claim, an up-to-date inventory will make the process easier.
  • Protect your items against theft. Always lock your dorm door and never leave your belongings unattended on campus. According to the Insurance Information Institute, the library, dining hall and other public areas are the main places where property theft occurs on campus.

Auto insurance tips for students:

  • Coverage may vary depending on whether you are leaving home or staying in the area. If you bring a car to campus and stay on your parents’ policy, coverage probably still applies. If you attend an out-of-state school, make sure your insurance coverage follows you.
  • Contact your insurance agent. To see what discounts you may be eligible for and to ensure you have adequate coverage while in school, contact a AAA insurance agent.

For more information, call AAA Members Insurance Agency of Western and Central New York, Inc. at 888-671-7044, visit stop by your local AAA Travel and Insurance Center.

As the largest member services organization in Upstate New York, AAA Western and Central New York provides more than 887,000 members with travel, insurance, financial and automotive services. Since its founding in 1900, AAA has been a leading advocate for the safety and security of all travelers. Visit AAA at Where or download our mobile app at

Print this entry


Comments are closed.