Firefighters from six departments responded to a fire at an auto repair shop on State Road 28 in the village of Milford on Sunday afternoon.
Otsego County Emergency Services Coordinator Victor Jones said a caller reported a possible building fire, with heavy smoke coming from behind the Three Aces auto repair shop in the 20 S. Main St. in Milford. The Milford Fire Department arrived 1,200 feet down the road, as did firefighters from Mount Vision, Cooperstown, Hartwick Companies 1 and 2 and Schenevus.
Crews “worked quickly on the fire and got it extinguished without extension,” meaning the fire hasn’t spread to much of the building, Jones said in a phone interview. The fire was behind a wood-burning furnace and scorched the wall behind the fireplace, he said. There are no casualties.
Typically, there are more fire calls during the winter months when it’s cold and people are using supplemental heat sources, Jones said. The emergency services coordinator stressed the importance of regularly cleaning stoves and furnaces. Furnaces should be cleaned annually, and “when they burn wood or oil, they should clean it at least quarterly,” he said. “Maybe people will listen and it will save us some work in the long run.”
Mike Forster Rothbart, personal editor, can be reached at email@example.com or 607-441-7213.