Gasoline prices in Florida are set to rise sharply this week, when the state’s gasoline tax holiday expires Nov. 1. The sales tax exemption provided a 25-cent rebate at the pump throughout October. So it stands to reason that when the gas tax is reinstated on Tuesday, drivers will see a 25 cent jump at the pump.
“While Halloween is traditionally a time to fill bags of candy, drivers may also want to fill up their gas tanks to take advantage of current pump prices,” said Mark Jenkins, spokesperson, AAA – The Auto ClubGroup. “Prices at the pump will likely rise 25 cents overnight when the state’s gasoline tax expires Tuesday morning.”
When the state sales tax exemption was implemented Oct. 1, gasoline prices fell a total of 22 cents in a matter of days, from $3.39 to $3.17 the gallon. Unfortunately for drivers, this discount was short-lived. In the first week of October, OPEC announced its intention to cut its rate of oil production, which triggered a 17% rise in the price of oil, increasing the cost of producing gasoline. This ultimately brought Florida gasoline prices back to where they were before the state’s gasoline tax exemption.
Gasoline prices for the month of October averaged $3.33 per gallon. That’s about 6 cents less than the September 30 price.
Gasoline prices in Florida fell 7 cents last week. On Sunday, the average gasoline price in the state averaged $3.29 a gallon.
- Very expensive metropolitan markets – West Palm Beach-Boca Raton ($3.47), Gainesville ($3.40), Naples ($3.38)
- The cheapest metropolitan markets – Pensacola ($3.14), Crestview-Fort Walton Beach ($3.14), Panama City ($3.21)
Ways to save on gas
- Combine races to limit driving time.
- Compare the prices for the best gas prices in your community.
- Pay in cash. Some retailers charge extra per gallon for customers paying with a credit card.
- Remove excess weight in your vehicle. Every 100 pounds removed from the vehicle improves fuel economy by 1-2%.
- Drive safely. Aggressive acceleration and speeding reduce fuel economy.
AAA Resources for Pilots
- Sign up for savings programs. AAA members who enroll in Shell’s Fuel Rewards program can save 30 cents per gallon on their first fill-up and 5 cents per gallon on each additional trip to the pump. Click here for more information.
- Get a tune up. Make sure your vehicle is well maintained to optimize its fuel economy. Visit AAA.com/AutoRepair to find a certified repair facility.
- Find the lowest gas prices in your area using the free AAA mobile app.
- Determine expected fuel costs for your trip using AAA’s Gas Cost Calculator.
Find gas prices in Florida
AAA GAS PRICE AVERAGES
|Sunday||Saturday||A week ago||A month ago||One year ago|
|Click here to see current gasoline price averages|
Gas Price Survey Methodology
AAA updates gas price averages daily at www.GasPrices.AAA.com. Every day, up to 130,000 stations are queried based on credit card swipes and direct feeds in cooperation with the Petroleum Price Information Service (OPIS) and Wright Express for unparalleled statistical reliability. All average retail prices in this report are for one gallon of regular unleaded gasoline.
About AAA – The Auto Club Group
Groupe Auto Club (ACG) is the second largest AAA club in North America with over 13 million members in 14 US states, the province of Quebec and two US territories. ACG and its affiliates provide members with roadside assistance, insurance products, banking and financial services, travel deals and more. ACG belongs to the national AAA federation with more than 62 million members in the United States and Canada. AAA’s mission is to protect and advance freedom of mobility and improve road safety. For more information, download the AAA Mobile app, visit AAA.com, and follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and LinkedIn.